Posted on June 13th, 2014
Air conditioning problems are among the last things Utah homeowners want to worry about during summertime. Unfortunately, many homeowners ignore signs that an air conditioning unit is becoming inefficient, which can lead to lost money and a sudden replacement. At Western Heating & Air, we recommend homeowners pay attention to the following signs that they may need a more energy efficient AC unit.
Telltale Warning Signs
When air conditioner performance declines gradually, it can be difficult to detect. Fortunately, there will be some obvious changes, including the following warning signs:
- Your energy bills increased from last year. Make sure to account for changes in fuel costs when comparing bills.
- You frequently schedule Orem, UT AC repair. If multiple parts of the AC unit are wearing down or failing, efficiency won’t be at its best.
- Your unit is over 10 years old. Older units don’t offer the same performance as newer ones; a new energy efficient AC unit may save up to 20 percent on costs.
- Your home is very dusty or humid. This may indicate underlying problems with your AC unit or related components, such as your ductwork.
- Your home’s heat profile is uneven. This indicates a loss of energy or inefficiency somewhere in the system.
These are all signs that you should consider speaking with a specialist about repairs or upgrades to bring you energy efficient AC.
In some cases, upgrading to an energy efficient AC unit might not be necessary immediately. Taking care of simple maintenance, including filter changes, ductwork cleaning and sealing, and annual tune-ups, may restore your unit to an acceptable level of efficiency. Sometimes, though, it will make more sense financially to replace your old unit, considering the savings that efficient units offer.
At Western Heating & Air, we are happy to help you evaluate your options and complete any necessary replacements or repairs. Feel free to contact us to schedule an appointment or get a free quote for our services.